Sunday, March 27, 2016

journal entry #18

I turned 18 yesterday
I had to fill out a waiver without my parents permission and read a nonfiction instead of fiction
I can already feel my childhood wrapped in piano strings so entangled that I can't play anymore

I nearly kissed the boy I like because it was my birthday
because I wanted him to be my first kiss as an adult
but I didn't
I didn't because I didn't want him to kiss me just because it was my birthday and it was birthday tap
or maybe I didn't because I don't live up to the 18 type and still get nervous when it comes to kissing boys

My dad called me because I guess he felt obligated
because I guess he saw Facebook announce it was my birthday
he didn't say much

just hi
just happy birthday
just bye

My step dad came around
he said happy birthday and then argued with my mother
ass hole

It was mediocre at best in the morning
and then you picked me up in benjamin
that $500 piece of shit that isn't a piece of shit because you drive it
because that car is a 4 but a 6 with you in it
and became an 8 when you let me drive it
and a 9 1/2 when you held my hand
but not a 10 because nothing is ever a 10
you passed my birthday into the top 5

My college letter conveniently came on my birthday
telling me I'm 18 and it's time for the decisions in life that will dictate your life

I heard 18 too many times yesterday


I usually write eloquent metaphorical poems that avoid the use of profanity
but today I'm 18
and 2 days ago when I was 17 I would've written about wins and losses like Nelson asked in my typical style of writing
but today I'm 18
and today I'm writing that poem I should've written 3 weeks ago that was supposed to be #different
because today I'm 18 and today I'm writing whatever the hell I want even though I know the boy I wrote about up there will probably read this and it will be either a win or a loss

I wrote 18 too many times today


This poem is a mess and out of order
but one of the goals I wrote in my journal was to keep my writing messy and neat simultaneously
and I've been doing too much of the neat lately
so this is the mess I owe to the neat

I just texted my friend saying I wrote a poem but I dunno if I should post it
am I really 18




15 comments:

  1. Yeahhh, I loe the part about the kiss and the fact that you wanted it to be real not just for your birthday!!! This is super great

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are too good. and the pictures. and the writing. wow

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is easily one of my favorite posts, and the whole turning 18 thing- saaamme I just filled out a waiver without having to have parents permission too and it was weird but soo convenient haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for writing what's on your mind. I really admire people who write what they want and what they're really thinking and you did that. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I can already feel my childhood wrapped in piano strings so entangled that I can't play anymore"
    This whole thing is so good, thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your writing is incredible. Thank you. I loved the ratings on the car, very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The part about your dad. The part about the car going from a 4. The swearing. The honesty. The #different. This was everything you wanted it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "this is the mess I owe the neat" so eloquently written. Loved every sentence of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good frick this was so solid. I was interested from start to finish. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was so so so amazing. Absolutely beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  11. How did I miss this blog haha. Real shit, but its also worded nicely

    ReplyDelete
  12. also if you like Fleet Foxes you should check out local natives. Anything from the album Gorilla Manor is prime

    ReplyDelete