Sunday, February 7, 2016

cute girl

A boy said to me I couldn't be told a trial he was going through because I was a cute girl
Just a cute girl

As if being a cute girl means to impress me you have to suppress anything deep
As if being a cute girl prohibits my ability to be deeper than cute
As if being a cute girl means if I speak past cute I must be emotional damage
As if being a cute girl means I can't be competitive because that's too aggressive
As if being a cute girl means if I don't distort my face with makeup I look tired and sick, and if i do I'm lying about my appearance 
As if being a cute girl means if I snort and cackle instead of closed mouth laughs then I am no longer a cute girl
As if being a cute girl means if I voice my opinion then I must be one of those feminists and no boy likes a feminist
As if being a cute girl means I can only earn a salary of 5 digits because any amount over 6 digits degrades the male to feeling unworthy of being the "man of the house"

As if being a girl means I can only earn 79 cents for every dollar a male makes
As if being a girl means in lesser developed countries I am reduced to breath air and pump blood for two reasons: to please the man and bear children, preferably boys
As if being a girl means in the more developed countries women's rights were passed a mere 97 years ago out of the 200,000 years humans have been recorded to exist
As if being a girl means 97 years later there is still a silent segregation between sexes
As if being a girl means in Utah if I wear a bikini, dresses mid thigh, and swear then I'm a hoe and no righteous mormon boy would marry a hoe

I'm not a feminist who is going to flash everyone because nudity doesn't represent any relevance to the imperative issues of gender equality
But the fact that humans have existed on this planet for 200,000 years and we're still not perceived as equals is an injustice that has been overlooked by the men who see us just as cute girls

Or maybe he was just calling me cute
But what do I know, I'm just a cute girl

9 comments:

  1. I love the way you write. Your post reminded me of a quote:

    http://riceandbeanz.tumblr.com/post/114053849767/i-want-to-apologize-to-all-the-women-i-have

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good! I love this! I agree with you on everything! I've been in that same situation before

    ReplyDelete
  3. say it again for the people in the far back

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes me want to listen to more Beyonce.

    But seriously. I'm a feminist. Equal rights, equal money, power to the people, all the people.

    You raise some important issues. You write clearly.

    You took a personal experience and used it as an entry into a larger conversation. Very skilled.

    And those last two lines.

    UNNNNNNNNNHHHHHHHHHH

    ReplyDelete
  5. i agree with nelson.

    you're the best tuesday, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete